Scope of Practice and Authorized Acts
The scope of practice and authorized acts for Ontario chiropractors are set out in the Chiropractic Act, 1991.
Scope of Practice
The practice of chiropractic is the assessment of conditions related to the spine, nervous system and joints and the diagnosis, prevention and treatment, primarily by adjustment of:
- dysfunctions or disorders arising from the structures or functions of the spine and the effects of those dysfunctions or disorders on the nervous system; and
- dysfunctions or disorders arising from the structures or functions of the joints.
In the course of engaging in the practice of chiropractic, a member is authorized, subject to the terms, conditions and limitations imposed on his or her certificate of registration, to perform the following:
- Communicating a diagnosis identifying, as the cause of a person's symptoms,
- a disorder arising from the structures or functions of the spine and their effects on the nervous system, or
- a disorder arising from the structures or functions of the joints of the extremities.
- Moving the joints of the spine beyond a person's usual physiological range of motion using a fast, low amplitude thrust.
- Putting a finger beyond the anal verge for the purpose of manipulating the tailbone
Legislation and Ethics Examination and Record Keeping Workshop
CCO will be holding the next sitting of the legislation and ethics examination and record keeping workshop on Tuesday June 14, 2016 at the CCO office The Old Mill Resort and Spa, 21 Old Mill Road, Toronto, ON, M8X 1G5.
Please complete the legislation and ethics examination application and submit it to Ms Maria Simas, Registration Coordinator to apply for the examination. Please contact Ms Maria Simas at firstname.lastname@example.org or 416-922-6355 ext. 113 for any questions.
Please see the record keeping workshop information sheet and apply using the record keeping workshop application form and submit it to Ms Rose Bustria, Administrative Asistant to apply for the workshop. Please contact Ms Rose Bustria at email@example.com or 416-922-6355 ext. 101 for any questions.